If you are into importing goods from other countries for business or personal reasons, you might need help from a customs broker at some point. For the uninitiated, customs brokers can refer to individuals, associations, partnerships or companies that are licensed by U.S. Customs Border Protection (CBP) and help clients with their imports. Their basic job is to ensure that clients are compliant with federal laws and imports enter the border through the due process. They check all regulations, laws and rules, ensure that the country-specific norms are adhered to, and complete the necessary paperwork, so that the goods can be obtained from the authorities.
When you work with known customs brokers, such as Clearit USA, there is certainly level of trust involved. Even then, these are some of things you can expect from a reliable customs broker
- Eventually, the idea of using a customs broker is to ensure that compliance matters are not ignored. Some of the best brokers rely on software and online systems to ensure that all aspects have been noted and taken care of.
- You don’t want to wait for days to get help with your imported goods, which is why communication with the customs broker is of utmost importance. You should be knowing where you stand with the procedure.
- Quick help. When you need to get goods from the customs, the process should be streamlined. Make sure that the customs broker is available when you need them, and getting started or sharing details shouldn’t be a big problem.
- Easy account setup. When you contact a broker, they will ask you to sign up and upload all the essential documentation related to the shipment. The process should be an easy one, and you should have access to their agents at all times.
- Transparent pricing. Nothing in the world is free, so the charges of your customs broker must be discussed and cleared in advance. Talk to the agent in detail about duties and fees to be paid, besides their charges.
If you are working with customs brokers for the first time, check their reputation online. Customer reviews is a great way to understand a company better, and yes, make sure that you are aware of the due process and how long it may practically take to get your shipment. The best customs brokers deal in all sorts of air, ocean and truck shipments.